Weighty Matters

Just another WordPress.com site

Please Be Seated

on May 21, 2012

Being morbidly obese is stressful, physically, mentally and emotionally.  Unless someone is so deep in their own denial that they completely block out reality, the awareness of our bodies — often how huge we feel — is always front and center.  For so many years, I never sat in an unknown-to-me chair without first assessing, and worrying, whether it was sturdily built and could hold my weight.  Given the option between a dinner chair with arms and a side chair without arms, I always picked the side chair rather than face the possibly humiliation of my ass being to big to fit in the other style.

In theaters or arenas, or conferences set up with rows of chairs, I always wanted a seat on the end.  Not only did I not want to squeeze in between two other bodies, but I didn’t want to discomfort two other people forced to sit on either side.  Same thing with airplanes.  Aisle seat, please!

There are numerous other situations where I always eyed available spaces and fretted over whether I was too big, but right now I’m thinking about seating.  Specifically, I’m feeling grateful that I’ve lost enough weight to be free of most of these worries.  The chairs at my nephew’s graduation were not the strongest looking folding style, but I wasn’t worried.  Granted, I didn’t body slam myself into the chair.  I employed a graceful, ladylike lowering of my rear end.  However, I also was confident that the chair would hold up — and it did.  I had aisle seats up and back to Boston in the planes and could definitely feel more room on either side of my body — except when the young woman fell asleep next to me and slumped over to my side.

I’m at a conference for a few days.  Tonight a group of us went to an Irish pub with tall tables and high stools.  It wasn’t always easy for me to boost myself up onto one of these stools.  No problem tonight!

I know that I can fit more comfortably in the different seats, and also actually relax now that I don’t have to fear the chair breaking or collapsing beneath me.  I’ve shed the pounds and, in so doing, have also lost the emotional heaviness and stress.  These are developments that I’ll definitely take sitting down!

Advertisements

8 responses to “Please Be Seated

1. Hope says:

I am currently terrified of bench seats these days. :p I have no idea how much space I really take up and I’m always worried that I’m going to piss off the person next to me.

• Mary Stella says:

Hoper, I honestly don’t think you take up any more space than before you were pregnant. Baby’s sitting up front. :-). If you’ve gained any weight in hips or butt, it’s only a little at most. Stop worrying!

2. Rose says:

Congratulations! I look forward to that day. Though I’m so used to larger theater seats I was surprised recently when I went to see The Avengers with my sister at a theater near her house I’d never been to and the seats were uncomfortably tight.

3. Skye says:

Excellent! I have a friend who always has those worries and to not have them must be so freeing! Good for you and all the progress you’ve made!

4. pinkpelican says:

Right there with you. It has been so amazing to have these limitations fall by the wayside. Going to a movie theater & being able to leave the arms on the chairs down, put my drink in the cup holder, and still have space on either side of my hip was just magnificent.

Going into a restaurant & NOT having to specify “table, please” has been awesome. Booths were always a challenge when I was bigger; now, I enjoy booths, because the seats are often more comfortable (as I’ve lost my built-in butt-padding, LOL) than chairs. Being able to comfortably sit in chairs with arms has been so freeing.

I haven’t flown since I’ve lost all the weight, but there’s a possibility I might this summer. While I can’t imagine economy class flights will EVER be particularly comfortable, I want to see what it’s like to fly and 1. be able to leave the arms down; 2. be able to put the tray in front of me down ALL THE WAY; 3. not need the seat belt extender; 4. be able to use the restroom without feeling like I’m wedged in on all sides with no ability to maneuver at all; and 5. not worry about whether I’m inconveniencing my seat mates.

5. 🙂 <– for you!

I'm just feeling happy I lost 10 lbs. I set a goal of 15 before we go to the beach in July. It's not all I have to lose by any means, but I decided incremental goals might work better for me and so far it is.

6. robenagrant says:

That’s wonderful, Mary. It must feel so liberating. I’m glad you’re no longer stressing over these issues and recognizing and enjoying your weight loss.